[CS-FSLUG] New computer

Dommy E. Hamid d-e-x at spitfire.net
Wed Jul 6 18:56:00 CDT 2005

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I'm having a bit of a dilemma about which direction to take: the new
> generation- pci express, sata or stay with the old cheaper stuff.
>
> Here is what I was thinking about for the *new generation*:
>
> Case: Raidmax Cobra (Blue)
> Mobo: Gigabyte GA K8n Ultra-9
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939
> Memory: Kingston 512MB DDR2
> Graphics Card: Gigabyte PCX5300 128MB DDR TV/DVI
> Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB 7200 SATA
> DVD: LG
> DVD Burner: LG
> Mouse: Logitech Pilot Optical (PS2 or usb)
> Keyboard: Generic
> Speakers: Generic
> No floppy
>
> I could maybe swap the Mobo for a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.
>
> Do I invest some extra money as in the above or stick with the *old* stuff?
>
> BTW. What is the differenc between the Nvidia 3 and 4 chipsets (mobo)?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Looks good, just a few suggestions

1. Make sure the CPU is Venice Core

2. Upgrade the Power Supply to something other than generic (or
something that comes from the Case). Preferably something that is True
Power and has PFC. Antec, Enermax, and Thermaltake are good brands.
Believe me, your components will thank you. You may as well invest some
money in a UPS too.

3. I prefer Seagate to WD. Better quality.

4. I don't like LG optical drives. Especially DVD Burner. Lite-on and
BenQ are good brands.

5. Definitely need more RAM. 1 gig is cheap now.

6. Do you game? If you do, you may as well go to NVidia 6600 GT.

Anyway, the difference between NForce 3 and NForce 4 is PCI-X Support I
believe.
---