[CS-FSLUG] NI: NASA: Watch Deep Impact's Comet Collision Via Webcast

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Jul 2 14:10:14 CDT 2005

Watch Deep Impact's Comet Collision Via Webcast Tariq Malik Staff Writer
SPACE.comFri Jul 1, 4:01 PM ET
You don't have to be a scientist to grab a front row seat when the NASA's Deep
Impact spacecraft bears down on a comet between July 3 and 4.

Live webcasts of the event will be provided by NASA and several observatories,
large and small, to offer skywatchers a digital view to the cometary
collision.

NASA's Deep Impact mission is slated to crash an 820-pound (371-kilogram)
Impactor probe into Comet Tempel 1 and record the event via a Flyby
mothership,
orbital observatories like the Hubble and Spitzer space telescope, and a
myriad
of ground-based telescopes from around the world. The impact is expected to
take
place at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) on July 4.

Here's a handy list to track Deep Impact's progress on the web:
NASA has arranged to webcast a series of press briefings leading up to Deep
Impact's crash day, and will provide live mission coverage between July 3 and
4
on NASA TV. Click here to access SPACE.com's feed of NASA TV. A schedule of
NASA
TV broadcasts can be found here.

SPACE.com will provide updates from our reporter at Deep Impact mission
control
at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. For the latest news, see our Deep Impact
Special Report.

The Kitt Peak National Observatory in Tucson, Arizona will provide a live
webcast of the collision beginning about an hour before the comet collision.
Click here to tap into the webcast.

In Bathurst, Australia, astronomers with the Charles Stuart University's
Remote
Telescope will broadcast live Deep Impact observations from sunset to midnight
local time. The remote telescope can be accessed here.

Atop Hawaii's Mauna Kea, the W.M. Keck Observatory will post near-real time
images of Deep Impact's Tempel 1 crash here as seen through a0 Celestron
11-inch
CGE telescope.

The Dyer Observatory at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee will
begin
a live stream of its Deep Impact observations just before20 the collision here
via the media provider Sonic Foundry. Vanderbilt20 physicist Robert O'Dell, a
former chief scientist for the Hubble Space Telescope, will provide
commentary.

In Sonora, Mexico, the Carl Sagan Observatory will offer a live20 webcast in
Spanish, and also contains some feature video on comets and the Deep Impact
mission. Click here to visit the observatory's webcast.

Have a satellite television link? If so, you can listen in the European Space
Agency's pre-comet crash features on the Deep Impact mission, as well as a
live
broadcast of crash day itself, via ESA Television. Coordinates and programming
information can be found by clicking here.

While the above links are free to the public, the subscription service
Slooh.com
will also offer a live webcast Deep Impact's comet crash.

In addition to live webcasts, Deep Impact mission scientists have set up image
cache where both professional and amateur astronomers can post their own
observations of Comet Tempel 1.

Avid skywatchers can also submit their own observations of Deep Impact's
mission
and Tempel 1 to SPACE.com's Amazing Images gallery.  Deep Impact: Viewer's
Guide
and Mission News

Visit SPACE.com for more space-related news including videos, launch coverage
and interactive experiences. Explore our huge collection of Image Galleries,
view our Image of the Day and Amazing Images. Follow the latest developments
in
the search for life in our universe in our SETI: Search for Life section. Sign
up for our free daily email newsletter today!

Copyright 05 SPACE.com.
Copyright 05  Yahoo! Inc. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service |

to you, at this time.