[CS-FSLUG] Analysis: MS and Spyware Giant Claria

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Jul 1 21:03:20 CDT 2005

I like to read Ben Edelman's blog. I've always liked intelligent
whistleblowers, and I believe he's really sharp. His latest:

   http://www.benedelman.org/news/063005-1.html

discusses the courtship between MS and Claria. While he notes
negotiations seem to have broken off, things are still friendly. The
newest iteration of MS's beta spyware removers now defaults to ignoring
Claria-ware.

Regardless of the evil MS may do, it appears to me there's a vast
underlying apathy among users that keeps them ignorant of their options.
Not just "don't know" but unwilling to listen to even the simplest of
warnings. We probably all know someone who had had enough, and we helped
them switch to Open Source. I wonder: When will a much larger segment of
the computer using population "have enough"?

--
Ed Hurst