[CS-FSLUG] Consulting advice

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jul 1 00:05:13 CDT 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 12:02 am, Nathan T. wrote:
> I know know much about US law, but if I were you I would look into the
> California Labour code. There was a case quite a while ago where an
> Apple employee wrote a finder plugin (or program, I don't know Mac OS
> :-p) and made it available as shareware. When Apple heard about it
> they legally challenged him for ownership of the program and got it
> because with the California labour code everything he wrote belonged
> to Apple or something like that, at least that was one of the reasons.

[snip]

That's not Calif. labor law as much as it's the contract that you work under.
MOST corps. have a contract that they OWN ALL of your work, unless otherwise
stipulated. It's common in the industry. It also is common in other areas. If
I do a commercial photo. job, documenting a manufacturing problem or
advertising, etc., that firm owns ALL of my work......I can't use it, show
it, etc.......MOST often.

Fred

to you, at this time.