[CS-FSLUG] Firefox works!

Alvin Smith alvin at tux.org
Sun Feb 27 23:15:03 CST 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 01:40 pm, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Sat February 26 2005 9:54 pm, Chris Brault wrote:
> > Joy!
>
> [snip]
>
> Does anyone know how to get Firefox to work with KMail? Like when you want
> to send a link? I've tried Thunderbird, but don't care for it.
>
> Fred

There must be something better than this!!

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde/browse_thread/thread/625da3a01014b102/12c220f0c517930e?q=firefox+kmail+link+mailto:&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26q%3Dfirefox+kmail+link+mailto:
%26qt_s%3DSearch+Groups%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#12c220f0c517930e

This is the Babel Fish translation:

Firefox is independent of the attitudes for KDE components. You have three
possibilities of configuring to Firefox for the use from KMail to:

1) stretcher in the gnome configuration program for "preferred applications"
KMail as email program. The configuration program is called gnome default
applications properties Firefox evaluates the gnome attitudes.

2) install the Mozilla Extension of http://mozex.mozdev.org and follow the
guidance on the web page. I do not know however whether mozex already with
Firefox 1,0 functions.

3) stretcher in yours user.js the following 2 lines:

user_pref("network.protocol handler.external.mailto", true);
user_pref("network.protocol handler.app.mailto", /pfad/zu/kmail s %s);

If in your profile listing none exists user.js, put on her with any text
editor.

It seems that /pfad/zu/kmail in #3 is the path to kmail, /usr/bin/kmail on my
system.

I have not tried any of these myself as of yet...  But it would appear on the
surface that #2 would be the way to go for tweeking purposes.

But it would also seem that this could be set somewhere in the configuration
page (type about:config into the address bar)....  I did try that, but it did
not work, yet...

--
peace,
Alvin Smith