[CS-FSLUG] Re: Christiansource Digest, Vol 12, Issue 45

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Sun Feb 27 13:16:55 CST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:00:54 -0800 (PST) Christiansource-request at ofb.biz
writes:
> From: Chris Brault <groundhog3000 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Do you still trust Bill Gates?
> To: Christiansource at ofb.biz
<snip>

> > "To reduce the illegal trafficking of these OEM
> > product keys, Microsoft will 'disable' the ability
> > to activate these direct OEM Product Keys  over
> > the Internet," the memo stated. "When a customer or
> > reseller tries to activate using a Product Key found
>
> > on the list of 'disabled' keys, the online product
> > activation wizard will instruct them to call
> > Microsoft, where a customer service representative
> > can assist them further."

<snip>
> linux). So, when (not if) Windows dies on you
> preinstalled PC, you have to call M$ and ask
> permission to use the software you are leasing from
> them. Isn't that nice of them. You don't think they'll
> use caller ID information from the phone call to do
> inormation gathering.

Problem for me is the the HP Pavilion zd7389cl thet my Dad
bought for me is all tuned up for XP and there is nothing for
Linux.  8-b   "So, when (not if) Windows dies" I will be
SortaOuttaLuck (SOL) since all I have is the recovery disk
and no "authentication certificate".

The screen is 9" vert and 14" horiz.  SuSE 9.2 couldnt
handle the screen too well (the right most 2 inches was
slightly distorted) and since the computer was a
"floor model" it came with no technical documentation
telling me the Horz/Vert Hz.

It also has some whiz-bang features which dont have any
connection with the rest of the world, so the drivers are
just not there for anything I want to do -- like connect
to the internet via doze-off (dial-up) modem when I'm on
the road.

Bottom line: Looks like I'm STUCK (literally and figureatively)
with XP.   <p'tooey!>

wade whining in Flour-dough, the Plywood state