[CS-FSLUG] Caught in the crossfire

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 25 00:57:55 CST 2005

MS is trying to crack down on piracy again but unfortunately regular
users will also be caught in the crossfire:
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+disable+product+activation+over+Net/2100-1011_3-5589504.html?tag=nefd.top

I run Windows XP along side Linux and I'm very displeased with how MS
has decided to take measures which harm legal users of Windows more than
the people pirating copies of the OS at no cost to themselves. My
brother's computer had something that may have been useful in such a
situation; he had a rescue partition and a CD that would reload Windows
from the rescue partition as if the installation procedure were already
done entirely, including online activation. I would like to find
something similar that doesn't use a rescue partition but perhaps only a
CD or DVD disk and I would prefer it if the software were able to make
the CD capable of restoring itself in case I am unable to get into an
operating system. I think there is some OSS software out there to do
this but I do not know what such a program might be called. Something
like this would be great because not only would I no longer have to
reinstall Windows when an "update" messes it up but I would also be able
to reload a clean copy that already has the drivers, games, anti-virus
and firewall software installed.

I hope to find the software I'm looking for very soon since I am going
to need to reinstall Windows XP (probably tomorrow) in order to fix a
problem where it locks up after being woken up from standby which I like
to use frequently. I have already had to reinstall Windows XP anywhere
between three and five times since I've gotten my new computer and if MS
keeps me from being able to activate Windows XP next time I have to
reinstall I'll be stuck with no platform to run my games on.

Any questions or comments?

Anyone in here looking to sell a copy of Windows 98SE?
I'd like to have a backup plan that doesn't rely on getting permission
to run from a screwed up, greedy, dishonest company that will mess up
its legitimate customers in order to try to crack down on piracy. As far
as I know Windows 98SE doesn't have any built in "features" that will
allow MS to deactivate your copy of Windows when they want you to
purchase their latest version or buy a new copy of the version you
already have.