[CS-FSLUG] dhtml frustrations -- IE

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:33:03 CST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:52:19 +0000, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> This is just a bit of a rant (but if anybody can help -- please feel
> free to do so):
>
> I am happily rebuilding (coding) one of my websites from scratch and
> figured I would try my hand at some css/xhtml and a bit of javascript
> (all = dhtml -- yes?)
>
> Anyway, I downloaded a cool javascript and got it working how I want
> (it's a tooltip with graphics) and then I found a nice css 3 column/with
> header template (with workarounds for IE) and started to combine them
> with some of my graphics etc.
> It all looks great in Firefox, Konquorer and Opera :-) BUT, in IE it
> doesn't work properly. IE 6 displays the 'mouseover tooltip box' behind
> the toolbar at the top of the page; IE 5.5 won't display anything in the
> header (where the logo is) but the tooltip box works; IE 4 does
> everything OK.
>
> WHAT GIVES?
>
> If I take out the css template stuff, then IE 6 displays the tooltip box
> in the right place (I'm sure it's not something that I've done as the
> standards compliant browsers work!).
>
> What am I to do -- put a graphic: 'Best Viewed With Anything Other Than
> Internet Explorer' and start the browser wars again?

I would do exactly that.  Simply post a note that some browsers to do
not comply with long-established standards, and add a link to the
other browser downloads.  Of course, I can be a bit antagonistic, so
take my comments with a grain of salt.

> Do all web coders have gray hair?

Well, I don't have much hair to be gray.  However, there is a bit in
the beard. ;)

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/