[CS-FSLUG] "One Velcro Friend"

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Feb 15 15:19:42 CST 2005

A WORD WITH YOU
By Ron Hutchcraft
#4722 - "One Velcro Friend"
John 15:15

Listen to the audio broadcast!
http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/ramhurl?p=pnm&f=/rhm/sounds/awwy/awwy4722.rm

        It was one of those nights that flashes back in our memory for years,
like treasured pictures in a mental scrapbook. It was the early 1990s and the
Soviet Union was beginning to break up. Estonia and Latvia had been under
Soviet domination for years, with Christians often being persecuted and
marginalized, even imprisoned and beaten. Our daughter was one of a team of
college students, privileged to be one of the first Christian teams to be
able to freely present Christ in Estonia and Latvia. They had just held some
unforgettable meetings with believers in Riga, the capital of Latvia. They
had heard some of the stories of the price some of those dear saints had paid
for their loyalty to Jesus Christ. They had been through so much.

        The team members bade their new friends an emotional farewell at
church and they headed for the train station, where they eventually boarded
the midnight train. But as they boarded, the railway platform was suddenly
alive with the faces and the voices of the Latvian Christians they had left
behind. They showed up en masse at the station for one last goodbye and a
special sendoff. As our daughter settled into her seat on the train, she
could hear the voices of those people joining together in a melody that
echoed through the station. She didn't recognize the words - they were in
Latvian, of course - but she surely recognized the song. As the train slowly
began to pull out of the station, these who had endured so much were singing
an old song that, at least for one college student, would never be the same
again - "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear."
These people would know that, wouldn't they?

        I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about "One
Velcro Friend."

        That's what those people had learned through years of injustice and
uncertainty and hardship - that Jesus is the "velcro friend" who sticks with
you through it all. He wants to be that friend for you. People can fire you,
abuse you, criticize you, divorce you, disappoint you, abandon you - but
millions of us have found what those Latvian followers of Christ found - that
Jesus is life's one and only "through it all" person. In fact, intimacy is
born from difficulty. When the Apostle Paul said his passionate life goal was
to "know Christ," he went on to say that involved knowing "the power of His
resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings" (Philippians
3:10). You never really know Jesus until you really, really need Jesus. And
when you really, really need Him, He's really, really there.

        The Son of God, the King of all kings, laid out the amazing
relationship He wants to have with us as He was talking to His disciples just
before His long, dark night of the cross - and the long, dark stretch that
would follow for His disciples. In John 15, beginning with verse 15, our word
for today from the Word of God, Jesus says, "Greater love has no one than
this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do
what I command. I no longer call you servants ... I have called you friends."
If you have that love relationship with Him, there is nothing the two of you
can't handle - because as the Bible says, "if God is for us, who can be
against us?" (Romans 8:31).

        And if you don't have that love relationship with Him, it can begin
today. If you'll give your life to this One who loves you so deeply that He
paid for your sins with His life. Our sins are very serious business, and
they carry a death penalty - which Jesus paid for you. You've had a lot of
relationships, and you hoped each one would be the ultimate harbor for your
heart. It wasn't. Jesus is life's only safe harbor, and you need to be in the
safety of His love. You don't need one more day without Him. Tell Him,
"Jesus, I'm Yours," and let His forgiveness and His love into your lonely
heart. I wrote a booklet about this moment when you begin with Him called
Yours For Life. Just let me know you want it, and I'll send it to you.

        "What a friend we have in Jesus." It's more than a song. It's a life
you can have. Then no matter what the future holds, that will be your
personal anchor - "what a friend I have in Jesus."

If you're not sure you belong to Jesus, and you would like to make sure today,
Ron would like to send to you a free copy of the booklet, "Yours for Life:
How to Have Life's Most Important Relationship."  To read it online, click
here:
http://www.yoursforlife.net/

OR, to request your free copy of "Yours for Life," click here:
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/yours/yflorder.html

Discuss today's "A Word With You," post your comments, or encourage others in
our discussion forum!
http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/rhm/awwy

How can I help support the work of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries?
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/support/

To find out how you can begin a personal relationship with Jesus Christ,
please visit YOURS FOR LIFE: HOW TO HAVE LIFE'S MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP
at:
http://www.yoursforlife.net
Or, call 1-888-NEED HIM.

"A Word With You" by Ron Hutchcraft is a daily radio challenge, with
slice-of-life illustrations and insights - providing practical help on the
issues that matter most. If your local Christian radio station does not air
"A Word With You," please let them know how much you value this program. Over
six years of transcripts are available online, at
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/awwy/

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries is a member of the Gospel Communications Network -
http://www.gospelcom.net

"A Word With You" is a production of:

Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.
http://www.gospelcom.net/rhm/
Email: RHM at hutchcraft.com
Phone: 1-877-741-1200

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Permission to distribute this material via
email, or individual copies, is automatically granted on the condition it
will be used for non-commercial purposes, and will not be sold. To reproduce
"A Word With You" transcripts in any other format, including Internet
websites, written permission is needed from Ron Hutchcraft.

Copyright (c) 2005, Ron Hutchcraft. Reprinted with permission. "A Word With
You" is a radio outreach of Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc.

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."