[CS-FSLUG] American Experience: Alfred Kinsey

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Feb 15 13:50:38 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:37:25PM -0500, Alvin Smith wrote:
[snip]
> > There is an attitude among many believers that we should be more
> > concerned about making society more comfortable (for them) than about
> > making and *being* disciples.
>
> That may be so, but I find it difficult to correlate that statement with the
> behavior of apparently unsaved citizens of Arkansas and Oklahoma.
>
> I agree with you that the Body of Christ should indeed not compromise with the
> world when it come to the Word of God.  And I agree that we should indeed be
> examples by living lives that are pleasing to God.

To clarify: the "push" to pass an amendment banning gay marriage in
these states was primarily the work of those who claimed to be
believers - the so-called Religious Right.  My point is that they are
against a certain type of marriage corruption (gay marriage) but are
willing to overlook other types of marriage corruption (living
together/divorce).  My *interpretation* of this contradiction is the folk
in these states who strongly oppose gay marriage but do not oppose with
equal vigor divorce and unmarried cohabitation do so because gay
marriage makes them uncomfortable.  Better to have a neat, clean society
than a dirty, yucky one regardless of how many are going to hell.

Again, the above is merely a clarification and not an attempt to drag
out this discussion.  I will not post to the list any more on this
topic.
--
john-thomas
------