[CS-FSLUG] Comments on Sam Palmisano of IBM

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Feb 13 19:35:30 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:14:14 -0500, Christopher Rose <kf6snj at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Personally, I think IBM still needs to rethink it does business, but
> given that they are looking into and embracing Linux, I somehow think
> they are on the right track.

I believe this is the same mixed blessing that was corporate support for
the Internet. It expanded the Net, added more and better routes, etc. But
it also brought the sheer profit motive that has closed some websites to
those unwilling to expose themselves to the abuse from the whole
"ownership" thing. I'd like to think someone will require IBM keep a light
hand on Open Source itself, but there's no guarantees. Novell's purchase
of SUSE added many good things, but I find it ruined things for me
personally. Corporate involvement is a mixed bag of good and bad.

--
Ed Hurst