[CS-FSLUG] frambuffer options

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Feb 11 15:30:02 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 03:46:39PM -0500, Alvin Smith wrote:
> > [snip]

> > > I have seen it before, but I am not sure why it is not being seen here
> > > now. After removing the boot-icons package, I don't see anything at all
> > > at boot time other than the regular boot messages.  No tux either.
> >
> > How did you remove the boot-icons package?  Did you use the purge option
> > (apt-get remove boot-icons --purge)?  If not, you may still be running
> > the init script for boot icons.  Since you have removed the actual
> > graphics, the script has nothing to display.
>
> Using synaptic's "Mark for Complete Removal" option.  Is that not the same as
> the purge option?

It should be.  Check /etc/rc2.d/ (or whichever runlevel you are in) for
a link such as Sxxprogress.kernel (or mount or service or whatever).
There should not be such a link.  Purging the package via synaptic
should have removed it.

If this is not the problem I am at a complete loss since the tux penguin
is hardcoded into the kernel.  I assume you are running a stock Debian
kernel.  (Is this correct?)  I also assume that you are still running in
framebuffer mode.  (Is this also correct?)  All of the bugs listed on
Debian's site are over a *year* old.  The maintainer states very clearly
it is buggy.  However, since you have removed it there must be some
other problem.  Do you have other kernels installed to test for Tux?
--
john-thomas
------