[CS-FSLUG] Let's Talk About It: Web of Trust

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Dec 31 11:03:47 CST 2005

The list seems to be sleeping. I'll whisper a few more words into the
silence and see what happens. *sshhhhh...*

We are getting a heavier-than-usual wave of spam bouncing of the list
mail system. It started just before Christmas. On my blog, I'm getting a
matching wave of comment spam. Early in my attempt at blogging, I made
some effort to report the IPs of the offending sources. Then I began to
understand botnets. At best, I was alerting ISPs to the ID of some bots
on their space. There's been some debate in other places whether we
ought to expend more energy on that, or attacking the problem at a
different level by advocating FOSS OSes, which are more resistant to
being turned into bots.

Recently, I saw that same point made from an unexpected source. Suzi
Turner was blogging on ZDNet about the latest WMF vulnerability in
Windows, and said right out she recommended replace Windows with Linux.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=735

In the past (far as I know) she always emphasized protecting Windows
itseslf. Lately there she offers a little more FOSS advocacy. Her cred
is really knowing how Windows exploits work.

Back to the blog spamming, though: Would anyone want to venture an
opinion on whether it's more useful to report/complain about the botnet
IPs, the spamvertized domains, or some of both?

--
Ed Hurst