[CS-FSLUG] Let's Talk About It: Web of Trust

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Dec 28 12:53:35 CST 2005

Don Parris wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm contemplating an article for Tim's Ofb.biz on the subject of the Web
>>of Trust. Specifically, I'm considering the community nature of the
>>Internet. A certain amount of commercial exploitation is unavoidable,
>>and even welcome. However, the apparent attitude of some commercial
>>entities is they bear no accountability whatsoever if their paying
>>customers violate Netiquette. However, do not limit your comments to
>>that alone. Let's philosophize, maybe play the Devil's Advocate, etc.
>
> Would you mind giving me an example of what you're talking about?

Assumption: If you connect to the Net in any fashion, you are
honor-bound to abide by RFCs, for example. There are major players which
refuse to provide an "abuse@" mailbox, which is required by RFC 2142.
The enforcement is strictly voluntary for now.

There are activists out there doing what they can to legally pressure
the big-boys, but some resist everything (can you say "AOL"?) because
their user base is too large to ingore, or because they actually run
major Net traffic hardware. Blacklisting/blocklisting is only mildly
effective, and results in major propaganda backlash.

While fighting these types of misbehavior is arguably Quixotic, to
simply drop it makes things only worse. What are the moral grounds for
continuing the fight, for attempting to enlist others in the fight? What
can we as a list together say for or against any part of this issue?

--
Ed Hurst