[CS-FSLUG] Networking with Apples

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 22:07:59 CST 2005

On 12/20/05, Ritchie, Josiah S. <jritchie at bible.edu> wrote:

>  The big question I have is "Why"? What is the problem(s) you are
> resolving? IMHO, that should drive innovation. I'm alright with the answer
> being, to see what things can do, but you're talking about a fairly
> intentional setup that looks intended to serve a purpose past its creation.
>

> JSR/

   Printer on top
=============
||    Router and   ||
||     Computer    ||
=============
||    UPS goes    ||
||        here         ||
=============
||                       ||
O                      O

Ok, I'll explain what all that is for.
Printer:
Shared via the computer, everyone all over the network can print to it, but
access rules should be easily set up on the computer.
Router:
Wired and Wireless, must have firewall and url/ip/mac address filtering as
well as it's own DHCP server and maybe an NTP server.
Computer:
File and Print server, and NTP server if the router won't do it. Should be
easy to set up, should have at least 160 Gb of storage space, and should
have a raid array so storage can span more than one HD and so backup copies
are also made on separate HD's. Preferably would consume as little power as
possible while still being powerful enough to serve it's purposes. Small
form factor such as mini-itx or Mac mini would be nice.
UPS:
Keeps it all powered in case of power outage or while it is being moved.
Wheels:
The thing is supposed to be movable.

This is what I would like to put together some day, most likely gradually as
I get work since the cost will mean putting it together one piece at a time
as I can afford them. The software on the computer should allow it's setup
to be *very* easy. There are no doubt some Linux distributions geared
specifically for this, although I don't want to use the computer as a
router, but simply a file and print server. I would like to know what kind
of Linux distribution or other OS would be right for this. Since I've
already thought out this much I might as well ask about hardware too, any
good ideas as to what would be good.