[CS-FSLUG] Shopping for a handheld

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Thu Dec 15 21:35:46 CST 2005

dmc wrote:
>> I want something that runs linux, or at least works great with my
>> linux boxes here.
>
> I recently acquired a used Sharp Zaurus 5500.  It runs Linux.

I haven't looked recently, but if you want the handheld to actually run
Linux rather than just work with Linux, you will probably have to get a
used Sharp.

>> I also would like wireless 802.11g if it's possible. If not will
>> 802.11b work ok with an 802.11g wireless router?

B & G are two different protocols on the same frequencies.  Most all G
routers are dual (B & G), but B routers won't do G.  It is usually the
default configuration on G routers to work in dual mode being able to
have both B and G clients.  That said, whoever configures the router can
restrict it to only work with G and not with B (like I did on mine).

> The former owner included a DLink wirelessnCF card.

Once again, I haven't looked recently, but any 802.11 wireless will
probably be an "external" card like the above.

>> I would also like to know if it's possible to sync wirelessley. any
>> suggestions?

I doubt this works across the 802.11bg wireless.  I have seen some have
Bluetooth wireless for syncing, though.

sjm