[CS-FSLUG] TechEd In the Church

JD Runyan Lists at RunyanRants.Net
Wed Dec 14 17:05:39 CST 2005

Don Parris wrote:
> On 12/14/05, David Aikema <david at aikema.net> wrote:
>> On 12/14/05, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps a class would not quite do the trick for that, as those who
>>> need to know may not attend.
>> How much attention could they be expected to pay to CERT advisories in
>> a church bulletin then either?
>>
>> David
>>

> About as much as they pay to other announcements in bulletins.  So
> what other ways can you think of that might get people's attention
> without shifting the focus of our worship services?
>
> Don

I don't know that church services would be an appropriate place to deal
with those issues. I don't see a problem of offering classes in/through
the church, or even seminars on the importance of computing and the
software you choose. I would rate this in the same vein as basketball
teams and golf tournaments. It could even be a conduit to bring in
people who are unchurched, and concerned about these issues. I would
recommend using a lot of these ideas when making technology decisions
within the church. They are hard to push, since everyone has these tools
at work, and they never think about the cost when it doesn't come out of
their pocketbooks.