[CS-FSLUG] NI: Self defeating desktop Linux strategies

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 19:07:06 CDT 2005

What's the problem with dual-boot setups.  Even if just Linux is
installed on the machine the capabilities that provide support for
dual-booting are useful.  (As well, I suspect that a lot of people had
their first exposure to Linux through a dual-boot setup).

Not everything that Windows does is intrinsically bad ... the idea is
to be similar where similar is good, and to be different where
different would make it better.

That, and one of the major things that I like about open source is
choice, and the ability to "scratch an itch" (ie. if you want it, then
you can implement it).  Hence, I wouldn't put a lot of weight in his
argument.  You might be able to force such changes in an organization
that you control (perhaps with a lot of griping), but on a larger
scale I just don't see this functioning.

David