[CS-FSLUG] Question About Podcasting

Jukka jukka.ylonen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 23:03:00 CDT 2005

2005/8/31, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com>:
> What's up with podcasting?  I am listening to the GNU/Linux User Show:
>
> http://www.thepodcastnetwork.com/linuxuser/2005/08/29/the-gnulinux-user-show-13/
>
> It looks like all they did was upload an Ogg/MP3 file with the content
> of the show.  Is that all podcasting is?  Does this mean I can just
> record myself, upload the Ogg file, and hope people listen?
>
> Don

A site called "The Podcasting News" has FAQ about podcasting:
http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcasting_FAQ.html

"Q: What's podcasting?

A: According to Wikipedia, "Podcasting is the practice of making audio
files available online in a way that allows software to automatically
detect new files and download them." Technically, this is accomplished
using RSS 2.0 news feeds to provide information about a collection of
audio files in MP3 format. In common use, podcasting is often used to
refer to independent audio shows that can be downloaded from the
Internet.

Q: What's cool about podcasting?

A: Podcasting lets anybody with a microphone, a computer and an
Internet connection publish audio shows that can be listened to by
people anywhere in the world. Because the barriers to entry are very
low, podcasting is rapidly becoming a popular way for people share
audio shows. Podcasts are free and can be automatically downloaded to
portable media players, so you can listen to them whenever it's
convenient.

Coolest of all is that if you've got a great idea for a podcast, you
can probably do it!"

(and other questions/answers:)

What sort of shows are available as podcasts?
Do I need to have an iPod to listen to podcasts?
Do I need special software to listen to podcasts?
Where can I find podcasts?
Who invented podcasting?
Do I need to use a Mac?
What are some of the top podcasts?
What is RSS?
What can you do with a podcast?
I've got a show that features top 40 hits. Do I need to worry about
copyrights and stuff like that?
 I'm planning on podcasting some audio books. What software and
microphone will I need?
I want to listen to the my favorite radio show on my iPod. How do I
get this as a podcast?

Blessings,
Jukka