[CS-FSLUG] A short experience with Ubuntu

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 02:55:59 CDT 2005

Interesting,

>As Ubuntu and Kubuntu is free software and things
like mp3 and wma are
>not
>open and free software things like that will not work
out of the Box in
>Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
>
>As a Christian I find it odd that other christians
want to violate the
>law and
>want to download codecs to get these formats working
in Linux when they
>know
>that they are breaking the law.

Exactly how would a Linux user "legally" use mp3's or
wma's?  The
holding companies have ignored Linux users because
there is software to
charge them for. Plus there is noone making a profit
off of Linux mp3
software, so there's no business lost. Aren't those
the reasons for a
copyright in the first place: To protect profit?

Besides, their copyright isn't valid in most of the
world anyways
(including Europe). Plus, I use m4a's because they are
available from
itunes and they don't require that licensed codec
crap. If my mp3 player
would play .ogg, that would be nice ... but it
doesn't, so I deal for now.

Gabe