[CS-FSLUG] NI: Is open DRM possible, or even desirable?

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Aug 29 15:00:49 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 22:27 -0400, Don Parris wrote:
> I haven't had time to check this out yet, but am aware of the fact
> that Sun has some kind of plan for this.  This sounds scary.  Is it
> not the antithesis
> of what most of us seek?  We should all just say "no" to any kind of
> DRM.  Choose an appropriate license, and make fair use an integral
> part of your material.

I think it is reasonable for individuals to want to be able to protect
their data from use that we don't want. Rather than fighting DRM, I
think the attention should be spent towards educating the would be user
of DRM. Let them see the beauty of collaboration in a disorganized
manner. Take MyVirtualBand.com for example. A bunch of musician's get
together, upload tracks, download others and across international
borders create cool new music.

Show people the success of wikipedia or show them the beauty of blogging
and podcasting. The openness is contagious to individuals and companies
depend on individuals for content.

The best rejection of DRM is done through supporting the opposition.
There's plenty of good free content (alternative media) to be had, if
you know where to look. Support them and in doing so reject DRM.

Setup a friend to blog or a church to podcast today. Feed the media
revolution. :-)

There's my 2 bits for the day. I'm off to prep for my first class,
poetical books.

JSR/

http://missions.ritchietribe.net