[CS-FSLUG] Recommendations on Headsets

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 29 08:38:20 CDT 2005

Your headset selection has nothing to do with your OS, it is
strictly a question of the hardware.  The OS has no awareness
of the headset as it contains no active devices.

Here are the questions:

1.  Audio quality.  You will want a really good quality headset
for voice recognition or Skype communications because the
microphone is critical.

2.  The microphone needs to be designed for voice communications,
thus it does not need 40 - 20,000 Hz range but more like
400 - 3,000 Hz, the range of intelligibility.

3.  You will want to consider your operating location as the
mic will need different characteristics if in a noisy
environment than a quiet one.  (Also, consider echo issues in
a smaller room and do something to eliminate the echo else it
will drive you nuts.)

4.  The impedance of the mic and earphone elements is important
as it must roughly match that of the computer.

5.  The element-type of the microphone is important, some electret
elements require some voltage to work, other types may not.

In general if you buy a decent quality headset that is designed
for the purpose it should work OK as most PC hardware presents
similar requirements.  If purchased locally you may always
exchange whatyou buy for a different model until satisfied.

HTH ... doc

--
Respectfully,
David M. Colburn, D.Min, MACo, etc.