[CS-FSLUG] A short experience with Ubuntu

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 02:07:28 CDT 2005

On 8/29/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for a good distribution to run on my laptop for
> quite some time now, if only Mandriva had worked the search wouldn't
> have been long, but then I also might not have tried any other
> distributions and learned what I did about Ubuntu.

<snip>

> After tinkering I also learned that CPU scaling wasn't within Ubuntu's
> ability on my laptop, and finally I also learned that root access was
> only available through the specific root console link in the menu or
> by using sudo which was inconvenient compared to what I'm used to. The
> real turning point, however, had to be when I had finally gotten my
> NTFS partition to mount and gotten my music collection copied to my
> home folder, when I tried to load the songs in Rythmbox the mp3s
> wouldn't work, they wouldn't play in Totem or XMMS either. I went
> through synaptic searching and adding anything I through would add mp3
> support to no avail. I did try mpeg123 as is suggested one does with
> Fedora, I also installed just about everything else I could find that
> looked like it supported a multimedia codec I wanted but in the end
> all I would up with was a mess of software that didn't do what I
> wanted.

Hmmm, I'll have to try an MP3 on our ministry's recently acquired Dell
C610 laptop.  I threw an audio CD in the drive and played it without a
hitch.  I have a music video that came with Msft Windows 98 as a
multimedia demo thingy.  I'll try to play it, and see what happens.
Other than Ubuntu nor SUSE being able to hook up the touchpad (I can
still plug in a regular PS/2 mouse and be fine), I've not had any
problems so far.  I need to try my old Handspring Visor - it worked on
the Warty Warthog version of Ubuntu, but I haven't tried it yet with
Hoary (5.04).

Blessings,
Don
--