[CS-FSLUG] NI: 8 Out Of 10 Enterprise PCs Spyware Infected

Clinton Evans clinton.evans at rogers.com
Fri Aug 26 16:48:30 CDT 2005

This story reminds me of a little discussion over lunch, a while ago. It
started with some talk about an article I had read an article about
Microsoft's investment program.

According to this article,  Microsoft makes more money from external
investment than it does from selling software. The article claimed their
success was largely due to the effectiveness of some propriety, internal
investment software.

Now, I must have been in conspiracy-theory mode, that day, because a most
scurrilous idea occurred to me:

	"Why should Microsoft bother with financial modeling when they
	have easy access to the data in almost every PC on the planet?"

Now, I am sure such an ugly idea has never entered the head of anyone in such
a respected company. However, it is a little scary to consider how much
sensitive data is there for the taking. It would not surprise me in the least
if it is used to aid some people's investment or bid and proposal strategy.

I am glad I don't work in MIS!

Clinton