[CS-FSLUG] NI: Novell Linux to be in Indiana Schools

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:12:19 CDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me exactly what the reasoning behind giving every kid
> a computer is these days.

It's the information age.  Never mind that we can't give every kid a
plate of food every day, but they must have that computer.  That said,
this article appeared to me to be about putting computers in
classrooms.  That would be supervised use - regardless of the
effectiveness of the supervision.

> Kids tend to damage thing, especially if it's something that are given
> or loaned to them for free, and giving or loaning kids a free computer
> for the school year is going to cost tax payers money. Some schools in
> Canada and the US are loaning or giving kids free laptops such as
> iBooks to take home, what that's created is a bunch of defenceless
> targets for robbery. The kids getting these free computers are usually
> within the ranges of k-12 students with a surprising number of them
> being of the younger age groups.

The biggest problem I have is watching some schools languish, with old
Apple IIc's while other schools get the latest and greatest.  Here in
Charlotte, a school was opened up in a business park complex.  All the
great companies - IBM, et. al. - contributed big bucks.  Once the
school board made yet another change in the school assignment plan,
and kids started coming from the low-income housing areas, the money
dried up.

It's a shame.  A lot of it is as much racial as it is economical.  I
have discovered that "classism" is the new euphemism for racism.  God
sees all.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist