[CS-FSLUG] First things to do with SUSE

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:55:01 CDT 2005

I've never had much success with SUSE Linux, no matter what I do I end
up messing something up with it. I've just finished installing it on
my laptop, and I'm happy to report that all the important hardware
seems to be supported. I've only got one problem and it may be because
I'm still in the progress of getting updates: having SUSE hibernate
and then come back results in the touch pad not working.

When I finish getting updates I want to get working DVD playback
support and multimedia support without really messing up the packages
I already have installed. If this doesn't work out I'll be waiting for
the next Mandrake release, but I'd rather not use a distribution which
requires GTK.

I would like to know how everyone else gets improved multimedia
support and what the first things I should do with SUSE are?

I do think I will be changing the software sources since the FTP
servers have all the software that isn't included on the free Cd's,
that is something I've done before, however, so I shouldn't need any
help with it :-) .

By the way, does anyone have any advice for using sub-pixel hinting?