[CS-FSLUG] Preparing a little e-mail for Microsoft

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 15:38:18 CDT 2005

On 8/15/05, mash. <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> > While I do not object to Microsoft protecting itself from piracy, I
> > feel that I am now the victim of deception since it was my hope to
> > extend the life of the Microsoft Games I had purchased by making
> > copies of the Cd's before the old ones wore out,
>
> Now don't get me wrong, I am all for the benefits of backing up $200
> software, but to be honest I know no one who copies games for the sake
> redundancy. I think it is quite in Microsoft's best interest to put
> copy protection onto their games whether they say it on the box or
> not. If there is a system in place to replace purchased game's CD in
> the event of fault then that's great and should be encouraged. I
> haven't purchased a PC game since 2000 but I am pretty sure they don't
> cost that much. If the CD fails get another one. I also know that
> games shelf life pretty long and I saw a copy of Bullfrogs syndicate
> the other day, wow great game !
>
> The protection is there against the huge percentage of people who copy
> the games for a friend or two. There is freedom and there is free.

The so-called "protection" you speak of literally violates the "fair
use" clause regarding copyrights.  It may not violate the letter, but
certainly the spirit of the law.  If I'm not mistaken, many companies
seek to make it illegal to circumvent these technological "locks",
which further erodes a user's rights under "fair use".  I suggest you
read the book, "Free Culture", by Lawrence Lessig.  His book discusses
the use of technology to prevent readers from accessing content for
which they have already paid, and thus have legal rights to access.

The Adobe E-Book Reader is one example.  Apparently the reader has the
ability to utilize text-to-speech, and thus to read out loud to the
user.  In a fairly serious gaffe, Adobe's software gave a message
indicating that a book could not be read "aloud".  Many people took
this to mean they could not read the material to their children.  I
believe that has been corrected, but they have mechanizms in place
that prevent people from using the audio capability.  Imagine if
you're blind, and need that audio capability.  You paid for access to
the content, but that access is moot.

By preventing Nathan from making a legal backup of his game CD,
Microsoft has effectively thwarted "fair use".  Their willingness to
replace the CD does not improve their standing in my view.  Many
people do not take their own rights under fair use seriously.  The
result is that we are all losing our fair use rights.

Lessig is also one of the folks behind Creative Commmons.  His book
has started a movement on college campuses, known as the Free Culture
movement.  I highly recommend his book for those with an interest in
copyright and fair use issues.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist