[CS-FSLUG] Dumb spam

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Aug 11 10:16:17 CDT 2005

Sorry to break the news.

Often that sort of spam is a test.  With intelligent spam catchers these
days, they do a lot of tests to see what sorts of things gets through
the various spam catchers.  Also, it does things like telling the
spammers if your account is active.  For example, if I were to send an
email to fred at nodomain.org, I would get something back that says,
Fred at nodomain.org, user unknown.  Then if I were to send your email
account a stray mail message, it would not say "user unknown."

So what you are seeing is a form of random polling.  Most of them do not
automatically check in, but some of them have embedded URLs that they
can track when the email is opened.  But most of those are now caught
with spam-catchers.

    - Tim Young