[CS-FSLUG] Microsoft CDs

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 11 07:31:48 CDT 2005

At 02:20 AM 8/11/05, Nathan T. wrote:

>I've encountered a dilema with the game: the CD is wearing out. The
>disk does in fact it does have a few good scratches on it but it still
>reads fine when browsing the disk and installing or playing the game.
>I tried to burn a backup CD and that is when the trouble started,

Browsing the disk only reads directories.  Do you get any errors if you
attempt to copy all files/directories to hard disk?

I have sometimes had better results by manually selecting all
files/directories on the disk instead of using "disk copy" option.

>I have the legal right to have a backup CD for my own personal use.

That's not quite what Canadian law says.  As I was once told by a lawyer,
you can "have" a backup only if you "make" the backup yourself.  If a
friend makes a copy of your disk and then returns both original and copy,
the copy would be illegal.