[CS-FSLUG] Microsoft CDs

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 01:20:33 CDT 2005

Quite a long time ago I got Age of Empires II and the expansion to
that game, the game is published by Microsoft and has one very
crippling bug I've come across far too many times, but aside from that
it's fun.

I've encountered a dilema with the game: the CD is wearing out. The
disk does in fact it does have a few good scratches on it but it still
reads fine when browsing the disk and installing or playing the game.
I tried to burn a backup CD and that is when the trouble started,
neither my desktop using Nero or K3B with my CD and DVD burner can
copy the disk, the same happens with my Toshiba laptop.

The only inofrmation I know is that Nero complains of a critical read
error while the program on my laptop says the disk is dirty or
scratched, but it still reads perfectly fine every other time. I don't
know if this is some sort of "security feature"  MS put on the CDs to
prevent copying, but if that's the case I'm going to be quite angry
since I payed for a legal copy of the game and I have the legal right
to have a backup CD for my own personal use.

I don't think the scratches in the CD should have any effect like
this, they definately aren't severe enough imo. I find this entire
situation to be very suspicious since I've had no trouble copying
scratched CDs before and my Age of Empires disks don't look any worse
than the others I've made backup copies of.

BTW. I have tried holding shift when inserting the CD, that hasn't
made a difference.