[CS-FSLUG] NI: This is EXCELLENT news!!

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Aug 8 12:45:19 CDT 2005

Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America voted
overwhelmingly to leave the National Council of Churches of Christ. The
General Convention is holding its annual meeting this week in Dearborn,
Michigan.

The action was not a temporary "suspension" of membership, but a formal
withdrawal from the NCC. The clergy unanimously approved the withdrawal,
followed by a unanimous vote of the lay delegates supporting the move. An
announcement of the final vote was met with thunderous applause by the
Convention.

Reasons given for the withdrawal include the general liberalism of the NCC,
whose General Secretary, Bob Edgar, withdrew his signature from a statement
defining marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Metropolitan PHILIP, head of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese, was
reportedly outspoken in calling for the church to withdraw from the NCC,
stating that the relationship had proven fruitless.

The National Council of the Churches of Christ has listed on its website "36
member communions and denominations." It now has 35.

Note: An interview about this vote and its consequences with the Very Rev.
Olof Scott, the newly-elected chairman of the Department of Interfaith
Relationships, is scheduled to air on Ancient Faith Radio this coming Sunday,
July 31, 2005, at 5 PM EDT.