[CS-FSLUG] Playing with Libranet

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Aug 6 22:38:46 CDT 2005

Got tired of SUSE 9.3's quirky behavior on my cheap Compaq laptop and
decided to try FreeBSD 4.11. The newer releases won't even start the X
server. It was okay until the screensaver started up, and crashed the
whole system. FreeBSD is coded to reboot instead of struggling on when
there's a file-system error. Too many FreeBSD servers are headless, and
can only be maintained via ssh and such.

Not deterred much, I dug through my collection of donated CDs and came
up with Libranet 2.8.1. It's working okay for now. I was surprised the
security updates didn't include the kernel, given all the alerts
recently. I'll have to look into that.

Ed Hurst