[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:14:26 CDT 2005

On 8/5/05, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 11:38 am, Chris Brault wrote:
> > Indeed,
> >
> > > I have been dealing with issues pertaining to the
> >
> > use
> >
> > > of ISO images I burn, and want to know if others
> >
> > have
> >
> > > had the same experience or am I just doing
> > > something wrong.
> >
> > This is a common problem
>
> Really? NOT with a good burner, as far as I know and I've burned a LOT of
> ISOs.
>
> Fred

I have a high-quality burner.  I did manage to re-use the Ubuntu ISO
image last night on a 2nd box.  It performed a 2nd flawless
installation last night.  I suspect that speed played a role.  I had a
couple of Morphix CDs from a co-worker.  The Morphix-GNOME worked once
only.  I believe the CD was generic.  I also don't think burning
normal data at a normal speed is an issue.  At least, I haven't had
that problem.  The only problem I experience is with ISO images burned
at high speed - anything over 24x so far.  The current Ubuntu image is
burned at 16x.

This has been an interesting experience, and I appreciate everyone else's input.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/