[CS-FSLUG] Pardon me while I grouch

Jerry VanBrimmer jevb.1 at runbox.com
Wed Aug 3 00:28:37 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:05:04PM -0500, Ed Hurst wrote:
> (unreasonable rant mode on)
>
> After a week or so fooling around with SUSE 9.3's KDE desktop, I ditched
> it for IceWM. That's what I usually do. Much as I love the tools and the
> way it works, it's just too darned buggy. It always has been, and I
> suspect always will be.

Exactly! That'a why I gave it up for Fluxbox. Though I still have it on
my system, and use Konqueror quite a bit. If I could just get used to
using MC I could probably delete KDE altogether and free up some space.
I'm finding myself liking the older tools and the CLI more and more
these days. Mutt for email. SLRN for news. I'm learning how to use vi
and vim, and even, hold your breath, emacs! I read one web page that
said configuring emacs to your own taste is a sport that will last a
lifetime! I'm finding that to be so true. Emacs *can* be made to look
cool, check this out:
http://merbc.org/~csebold/emacs/why.phtml (scroll down to see emacs.)
So, I hear ya bro!

> Since I have sufficient RAM to use it, I may try
> to download the 100MB or so of update packages (on somebody else's
> connection) from 3.4.0 to 3.4.2, but I don't expect it will be much better.

Don't waste your time/BW.

> One member of this list said he felt KDE spent too much time debugging,
> and not getting the next release out the door. Ha! I wish it were so.
> I've yet to see any release that worked as it was supposed to work.

Me too.

> They
> keep adding new features, and inevitably some are broken. Just once, I'd
> love to see a polished and stable release, where just the few things I
> use weren't broken.

Me three.

> For example, use Kwrite long enough to produce a
> page of text -- any text -- and it will start slamming the CPU. The
> little indicator I put in the Kicker Panel shows the CPU graph leaping
> up and down every time I hit the keystrokes after a couple of
> paragraphs. There's just no excuse for that in a simple text editor.
>
> Then get out of X and look at the console. There you will see 50 feet of
> error messages from a day or so of use in KDE. Again, that is just lousy
> development. I realize I don't know squat about code, but I know I don't
> get that pile of background error spew from much of anything else on
> Linux. Both KDE and GNOME do it, though KDE is more verbose these days.
> If it's inconsequential, why even turn the messages on? Why, after some
> 50 releases and sub-releases do we still see something so clearly
> unfinished? Yep, we are really going to win over those Windows users.
> Novell-SUSE's Konqueror browser chokes on Novell's own SUSE webpages
> because it can't handle some JavaScript.
>
> Yes, I've had these same gripes for over two years now. It's like the
> pastor that gave the exact same sermon two Sundays in a row. When the
> deacons asked why, he said, "You didn't listen the first time." The
> church was doing things the same way as before. You don't get anywhere
> if there aren't at least some incremental improvements here and there.
> I'm still waiting.
>
> (rant mode off)
>
> Whew! I feel better now.

You look better too! :-))