Re: [CS-FSLUG] NI: OfB.biz: Apple’s DRM Move: The Work of a Ulysses?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Aug 2 23:23:23 CDT 2005

> Piracy has worked to MickySoft's advantage in the past, and it may
> do the same
> for Apple......no?

I don't think it will. Apple is a lot different than Microsoft. The
vast majority of Apple's profits come from hardware, rather than
software. I fully expected Apple to make it hard to make x86 Mac OS X
run on non-Macs for this reason; I can't say I expected them to use
TCPA to do so... I thought they might just make the x86 Macs have a
very strange architecture (which would have been really annoying).

I don't think Apple can make money on Mac OS X as a software product,
so having it pirated would not likely create new customers... at
least I doubt it would.

What might prove useful for Apple, though, would be to offer a live-
cd Mac OS X that would run on all PCs. Run it, see what OS X is like,
then buy a Mac if you like it.

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Every ant  knows the  formula of its ant-hill,
Editor, OfB.biz   | every  bee knows  the formula  of its  beehive.
tbutler at ofb.biz   | They know it  in their own way, not in our way.
timothybutler.us  | Only humankind does not know its own formula."
                                               -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky