[CS-FSLUG] CSS and Web Standards

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 16:51:42 CDT 2005

Well, well,

> I too have been looking at and studying css (and
> xhtml) and am amazed at the design possibilities
that
> they offer.

It's not so much the opportunities, but the limits
that can be broken when you are stuck with tables. I'm
actually making pages that don't have a table in
sight, although some things could be done easier in
tables. It's just me checking out the future.

> I did buy a book:
> Web Designer's Reference:
> An Integrated Approach to Web Design with XHTML and
> CSS
> (http://www.friendsofed.com/books/1590594304/)
> from Amazon and have found it to be a great help. It
> even has a section on getting around IE
difficulties.
> The author is a standards freak and so there are no
> "Best viewd in X browser" stuff at all.

Here's the real problem I have with IE. Opera and all
the Gecko based browsers can see pages almost the
same. Even IE5 Mac can see the CSS markup correctly.
However, IE on Windoze can't see the mark-up. If you
want a page that is active, you have to use flash,
java or .asp. That is alot of overhead for something
simple like popup menu's or mouse rollover images.
This is just a pet-peeve of mine, though.

Nothing is best viewed in Explorer!

> If you want to compare notes or problems, perhaps we
> can help each other?

That would be helpful. I keep up on meyerweb and
healyourchurchwebsite.com as well as
christianwebmasters.

So, any new stuff that I can take a gander at?

Here are some sites I am/was working on in pure CSS
(view in firefox then IE to see the difference, if
there is any):

First there's me home page.  This was a horrible
headache to get looking good. I had to write two
different style sheets. One for IE and one for
everyone else.

http://www.ginorio.org

Next there's the site I got started for the now
defunct "Open Store" in Savannah, Georgia. Never
finished it.

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/openstore/

Here are some ideas for an 'all natural body product'
e-commerce site I'm working on.

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/mockup/ and mockup2/

Here's an idea I sent to the blag linux people. They
didn't bite, but it still looks okay.

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/blag/

Here's my CSS "evangelism" page:

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/css/

Of course, my buddy Larry Whalen's site:

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/larry/

And although there are many more, here are my last
examples. This is an idea I had for our family
geneology site. It's was one of the first websites
that I made for someone else beside myself.

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/family/

Since my dad was involved, I decided at the same time
to redesign his site too (but there are tables in it):

http://www.ginorio.org/sites/tcmi/

Well, there it is, HTML, CSS and PHP all wrapped up
from my first non-private pages to today. Notice
anything interesting or have something interesting to
show me, I'm all eyes.

Gabe Ginorio