[CS-FSLUG] Apple's Big Virus

JD Runyan Lists at RunyanRants.Net
Fri Apr 29 15:11:43 CDT 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2005 2:01 pm, 國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar) wrote:
>
>>I don't know, Jukka.  I've in fact done it many times, bearing in mind
>>that I always include the refering link.
>>
>>Providing just the link is in fact easier on me, for it'd save me the
>>trouble of copying and pasting the text.  What do the rest here think?
>>Would U all prefer just the link or the entire article?
>

> What ever floats yer boat. :) I normally only have the link, but sometimes a
> paragraph or two. Normally, I'm in so much of a hurry to get all mail done, I
> don't take the time to cut 'n past it all.
>
> Fred

If you want to get all legal, copying the entire article is a potential
violation of copyright. Google for "fair use periodicals" and you will
get some good guidelines. A second reason to snip and link, is that
sites keep stats that sell ads. You visit the site, then it shows that
the author is more valuable. He is worth more to the site/mag, and his
pages are worth more to advertisers. This means he will be around a
while, though if everyone snips the entire article when sharing, then he
may be undervalued by his employer. On the flip side, many sites have
links to send entire articles to people right under the article. They
are probably not using these measures to determine value, and thus you
are not costing someone value monetarily or in prestige.
--
"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if
it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that