[CS-FSLUG] Playing With Ututo-e (Parte Uno)

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:23:14 CDT 2005

Buenas Noches Amigos!

O.k., maybe installing the Argentinian distro has affected me after
all.  Last night while I was finishing up PitP (uploaded today,
expecting my review copy to ship next week for approval), I ran the
Ututo-e installation on another box.  Ututo-e is essentially based on
Gentoo, but handles things a bit differently (though I'm not up on the
details of that just now).  Apparently, it installs like Gentoo.  I
started at 11:40 last night, and it was getting ready to finish at 4
AM, just as I had had enough of looking at the layout of PitP.

I let it finish while I went to bed.  Woke up to find it ready to
reboot, which I did.  Looks it failed to bring up eth0, but I have no
idea why.  Haven't really had time to play with it yet.  I'll try to
play with it this weekend or next week.  The only thing I can really
say right now is that AbiWord was slow to launch the first time, but
after that, launched at a much more normal pace.  Is that a Gentoo
thing, or an AbiWord thing?  Anyway, I chose the auto-install option,
and didn't do anything at all after that.  Rebooted and have GNOME
running.  GNOME gave an error message about "kb" something or other,
but the keyboard works so far.

I can't say it was flawless or not for sure yet.  But it certainly was
the easiest installation ever!  And yes, they gave me an "English"
language option.  Funny though, some of the tooltips are still in
Spanish.  If  I don't grasp them, I'll holler!  I like the desktop -
looks promising!

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist