[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Wed Apr 27 23:49:40 CDT 2005

On April 21, 2005 04:53 pm, JD Runyan wrote:
> Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:
> > I was just trying out something named SSH last night to upload pages to
> > my site, and I had to back out as I couldn't figure out how to use it.
> > Can you give me a 101 lesson in a paragraph or two?
>
> Good for you, SSH will provide you with a secure  method to transfer
> your files to the webserver. I suggest you open konqueror, and then type
> in the address bar "sftp://<webhostname>" replacing <webhostname> with
> your web server. It should prompt you  for login information. You  may
> still have to adjust permissions, but you will  be able to use konqueror
> to do  that.
>
> > It has taken me two days to figure out how to download Firefox and give
> > it the right install commands. But it doesn't show up anywhere to open
> > yet. Do I need to reboot first?
>
> No windows thinking now. Firefox does not install an icon of its own.
> You will need to run it manually. hitting 'alt+f2' should bring up a run
> dialog box. type '/opt/firefox/firefox' in the box, and see if it runs.
> If you know that you installed someplace other than /opt, then use that
> instead. You can create a launcher(icon) for firefox in KDE using your
> right click. You will have to choose create link to application or
> something similar.

Thanks, JD. Since I was not sure where to install software I had created my
own folder called run, so once I tried that alt+F2 trick and used,
/home/ruth/run/firefox/firefox it worked!  I discovered that menu editor (for
KDE) on a right-click at the start button, and it put firefox on the www
sub-menu of networking, however, clicking it there still did not open it.

Just a sec! I checked and had not used the right path. Now it works! Thanks a
big BUNCH!

By the way, I tried that sftp:// in Kongueor and got an error message, then
"Connection closed by host." I went looking for that SSH and found some
documentation, but when I tried that screen, I got notice that I didn't have
installed. So I've just done that through Drake-install. But am stuck again.

--
Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Marlene Friesen

When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
                       \o/
P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
or as e-book to download right away -
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html