[CS-FSLUG] Fonts, Memory & GNU/Linux

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Apr 27 08:40:19 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 3:38 pm, Don Parris wrote:
> Does GNU/Linux handle fonts the same way Windows does?  I mean, the
> more fonts you load in Windows, the more RAM you use.  Does X or the
> desktops handle this any differently?  I got hold of a load of
> TrueType/OpenType fonts and don't want to install them all if it's
> going to bog down my system.

Yes......in particular True Type fonts load up RAM in a hurry! However, I've
done some comparrisons between XP and SUSE 9.2 Pro. SUSE is much quicker with
the SAME number of fonts installed, and in addition, (this would be important
for someone who does a LOT of camera ready work for reproduction), you can
load an unlimited number of fonts (or it seems unlimited) where you CAN'T in
any flavor of 'Bloze.

I have a client who does a LOT, like daily HUGE documents that often require a
wide variety of fonts. Rather than uninstall some and install others, I
designed a box for him with a dual P4 w/4GB DDR RAM, nVidia PCI-Express 16x
w/128MB, and 2 SATA 200G 133M-Bit hd's. I installed SUSE 9.2 Pro., now 9.3,
with a defined SWAP partitian that's 8GB........more is better. :) I
installed almost 80MB of fonts (compressed). The performance is awesome, and
I can assure you it ISN'T with XP.......we tested it first before putting
SUSE on it. :) ;)

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."