[CS-FSLUG] OT: Another Identity Theft (PHONE) issue to be aware of!!

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Apr 19 16:16:07 CDT 2005

Another Identity Theft (PHONE) issue to be aware of!!

Subject: Scam Alert - Be Aware

Subject: Be Aware - Another Credit Card Scam. Please read this one and
disseminate to all your peers and Service Members.
        A Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the
Security and Fraud Department at VISA (or any other credit card issuer). My
Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase
pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card, which
was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device
for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona?"
        When you say "No." the caller continues with, "Then we will be
issuing a credit to your account This is a company we have been watching and
the charges range from $297 to $497 just under the $500 purchase pattern
that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent
to (gives you your address). Is that correct?"
        You say "yes." The caller continues _ "I will be starting a Fraud
investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1.8QO number
listed on the back of your card (1_800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will
need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6-digit
number. "Do you need me to read it again?"
        Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then
says he needs to verify that you .are in possession of your card. He'll ask
you to "Turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers:
the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security
numbers that verify you are the possessor of the Card. These are the numbers
you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card"
        The caller will ask you to read to him the 3 numbers. After you tell
the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to
verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have
your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say "No, the caller
then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do" and
hangs up.
        You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the
card number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of
the card. Don't give it to them. Instead,. tell them you'll call the credit
card issuer directly for verification of the conversation, The card issuer
will NEVER ask for anything on the card (they already know). Call the card
issuer immediately! Your identity has been compromised!!!

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."