[CS-FSLUG] OT: Security Watch: Beware of ungracious hosts (hosts files, that is).

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Apr 11 16:04:59 CDT 2005

"A few weeks ago, I wrote about a new trend among identity thieves called
pharming, where whole domains are hijacked, and users unwillingly find
themselves on familiar-looking yet fraudulent Web sites. Pharming exploits a
weakness in how the current Internet is structured, namely the Domain Name
System (DNS), which translates easy-to-remember URLs into the IP addresses
that networks use to route data packets across the Internet. Since that
column, I've been thinking about other ways to accomplish a similar feat. For
example, rather than poison or change the data on a remote DNS server, why
not use a common file on your computer to redirect your desktop computer
somewhere else instead?"

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6159759-1.html?tag=nl.e501

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."