[CS-FSLUG] Is Mac OS X "Closed" or "Open" Source

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Apr 5 19:28:56 CDT 2005

>> The core (Darwin) is under a OSI *and* FSF approved license (ASPL
>> 2.0).
>> The top (Quartz) is proprietary. Various parts like Safari's HTML
>> engine (KHTML) and Rendezvous networking are Free Software, however.
>> It's very much a hybrid system.
>>
>>         -Tim
>>

> Thanks for clearing that up.  No wonder I felt confused.  Now I know!
> It could very well pass for a number of GNU/Linux distros.

	Glad to. It very well could pass for a GNU/Linux distribution in many
ways. In fact, Free Software supporters would probably find more to
like about Apple's policies toward the community than those of Xandros
or Linspire, for instance.

	Obviously, all three are releasing their product under a standard
EULA, but Apple has clearly out donated the other two in code given
back to the community. Ironically, thanks to the ASPL licensed core, it
is probably safe to say that Apple is now the largest Free Software
distributor around.

	You can find out more about Apple's Free Software at
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/ . Of particular interest to
the non-Mac community, I think, are Rendezvous and Darwin Streaming
Server (a.k.a. QuickTime Streaming Server in its proprietary form). The
latter is the easiest streaming media server to configure that I've
ever used, and its all ASPL licensed.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |