[CS-FSLUG] Blog: Forgot Linux?

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Apr 1 21:00:26 CST 2005

>> 	Primarily, I was demonstrating why multimedia support -- I think --
>> isn't really a problem even though it is a problem. I agree with
>> Nathan
>> that GNU/Linux is lacking in this area as I was clear in the first
>> parts of the message, but the latter part shows why I generally don't
>> opine a whole lot on multimedia (and then I got off track). Given that
>> multimedia support is key for home users, it seems to me we need not
>> worry about it too much until the system is oriented more to the home
>> users.
>
> And, it CAN'T "win" the desktop war until it does have proper
> multimedia
> support out of the box.

	A good point. I'm not sure how we're going to get it though, thanks to
the unfriendly laws governing such things. While RMS would surely be
unhappy, it might make sense to get an organization like Freedesktop to
license the codecs... they probably couldn't make them Free Software,
but hopefully the could create some kind of social contract that would
insure they were free to distribute, etc...

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |