[CS-FSLUG] Blog: Forgot Linux?

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 01:15:25 CST 2005

Good, then we agree,

> Hmm... would it show up if you had an Apple DVD
> drive, perhaps? For instance, iTunes won't burn a CD

> without a hack unless it is an Apple OEM CD burner,
> but that doesn't mean that the basic iTunes doesn't
> have CD burning capabilities... But regardless, if
> Mac OS X 10.3 resolved this, this is no longer
> something that can be held against Apple, especially

> since Panther is almost a year and a half old. :-)

If you purchase Mac Hardware, then you get the good
stuff without a hack. If you decide not to purchase
their stuff, then you don't get it. On Windows the
stuff isn't installed until you purchase it
separately. Either way, and this is my point, Linux is
no different in the way DVD software is handled.

> Well, I distinguish the bundled software from the
> OS disc. My PB and G5 both came with generic install

> discs for Panther that do not install the Apple
> professional software bundle. That is done
> separately.

And here we see the crux of debate. Is Linux really
that bad in terms of making you search for and install
DVD software or RealPlayer or Flash or whatever when
none of the other major OS's come with them either? If
a Linux based multimedia program auto-updated it's
codecs then you probably couldn't tell the difference.

> * The cableco offered me a deal since my telephony
> and internet already comes in via them. Given that,
> took the plunge, but the service has been
> questionable and is officially canceled, although
> they are sending out a tech tomorrow to try to fix
it
> again:

Indeed, cable companies make 70% of their revenue from
subscriptions. Unlike networks, advertisers avoid
cable because of the small shares per channel. What
can you do? Audience Fragmentation and Media
Fragmentation go hand in hand.

> http://asisaid.com/journal/article/641.html
> http://asisaid.com/journal/article/688.html
> http://asisaid.com/journal/article/689.html