[CS-FSLUG] Linux classes and website

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 18:49:51 CDT 2004

Here are some of my suggestions,

> > I have only worked with RedHat and Fedora (Simply
> because that is what I
> > know and I have no time to "play" with anything
> else.  If any of you are
> > interested you could write the same class material
> (covering the same
> > subjects) for other distributions where they
> differed from how FC does it.

I know Fedora, and familiar with Mandrake, have used
Debian and have built LFS systems. I am not even close
to an expert on anything. That said, perhaps topical
indexing + distro lists could help.

Topic or Subject:
- Redhat based distro instructions
-- list of distro's supported
- Debain based distro instructions
-- list of distro's suported
- Generic instructions
- User added instructions (Wiki style)

And perhaps addressing switcher "pet peeves" right off
the bat could help. Like:
1) Installing Fonts.
2) Installing Java, flash and media players (including
real player 10).
3) Changing screen resolutions.
4) Mounting and unmounting USB and other drives.
5) Setting permissions.
6) Directions on how to open their Word or Corel
documents.

This as well as the usual newbie, "what is linux?",
"how does the file system work?", "what is a HOME
directory?" and so on.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery,
Gabe