[CS-FSLUG] Gmail question

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Wed Sep 29 09:36:08 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 17:25, N. Thompson wrote:
> I've just found out that some homework I'm trying to e-mail to an
> account I can check at school has not made it through because of the
> size of the attachments, I don't have much time before I have to go off
> to school myself so I have to make this quick.
>
> How large can attachments be on incomming and outgoing e-mails with GMail?

I found some information from gmail's support - it seems to say that limit is
10 Mb.

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=8770&topic=38

"That depends on the attachment. With Gmail, you can send and receive messages
up to 10 megabytes (MB) in size.

When you add an attachment, the size of a file may increase because transport
encodings (the information that allows your message to be safely sent and
read) are automatically added.

This means that in some cases, attachments that are 6 to 10MB in size may push
the total message size above 10MB. When this happens, Gmail displays a
warning that your message exceeds the 10MB"

Blessings,
Jukka