[CS-FSLUG] Add-on to my previous message

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Wed Sep 29 08:32:49 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 13:19, Jukka Y wrote:
> Hi Ruth!
>
> My opinion is that best distributions for the newbies are the ones that
> have good graphical tools for configuration. With them everyone can start
> learning basics and if/when one wants to go further, next step is exploring
> how things can be done by editing configuration files directly and using
> different commandline tools (which are included in almost every
> distribution). If you are looking for distribution that has good graphical
> tools for configuration I can suggest Suse 9.1.
>
> (let the distro-war begin ...:)
>
> Linuxbeta (http://www.linuxbeta.com) has screenshots about Suse 9.1.
> Configuration is done with "YaST2" ("Yet another Setup Tool") - screenshots
> 50-115 give you an overview of it's functionalities and what it looks like:
> http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=50
>

> Blessings,
> Jukka

Here is more detailed links to those YaST-screenshots:

51-57: software configuration (change source of installation, install or
remove software, installation into directory, online update, patch-CD update,
system update)
(51->) http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=51

58-67: hardware configuration (CD-ROM drives, disk controller, graphics card
and monitor, hardware information, IDE DMA ode , joystick, printer, scanner,
mouse, sound, TV card)
(58->) http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=58

68-82: system configuration (boot loader, language settings, creation of
boot-/rescue-/module-floppy, date/time, /etc/sysconfig-editor,
LargeVolumeManagement, hard-drive partitioning, "powertweak" configuration,
profile manager, system restoration, runlevel editor, keyboard layout, system
backup)
(68->) http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=68

83-89: network devices (*DSL, fax, ISDN, modem, network card, phone answering
machine, remonte administration)
(83->) http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=83

90-104: network services (DHCP server, DNS and host name, DNS server, host
names, http server, Kerberos client, LDAP client, mail transfer agent, inetd,
NFS client, NFS server, NIS client, NIS server, NTP client, proxy, routing,
Samba client, Samba server, SLP browser, TFTP server)
(90->) http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=90

105-109: security and users (edit/create groups, edit/create users, firewall
configuration, security settings)
(105->)http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=58

110-115: miscellaneus (autoinstallation, load vendor drivers, post support
query, power management, start-up log, system log)
(110) http://www.linuxbeta.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=125&slide=110

Blessings,
Jukka