[CS-FSLUG] Linux classes and website

Doug Coats dcoats at heritagemail.org
Tue Sep 28 11:14:42 CDT 2004

I would like to throw out an idea to you guys and gals and see who is
interested.

I got started in Linux 4 years ago through a friend of our school who wanted
to show us how to use the power of Linux to get us the same tools that the
large corporations use at the low cost of my learning how to use it.  So far
it has gone very well!  After the 3rd year I even started to realize that I
knew most of what I was doing.

About this time last year I sent a message off to the group about starting
some Linux classes and asked for suggestions about what you thought would be
good to include and how I should proceed.  (Thank you for all of you who
played along)

This summer we taught 6 classes all about 4 hours long that covered
installation, configuration, networking, Samba, Apache, & Sendmail.
Basically I wanted a class that I wished I had 4 years ago when I first go
started.  Our drive is to help other nonprofits benefit from Linux and our
experience.  Overall I would rate them as a success for getting our feet
wet.  In the future I think we will spread them out and have two different
sections (one for the curious and one for the administrator).

So here is my thought:

We could start a website that mirrored the classes that we teach with the
lessons so that the students could visit and revisit the concepts and
configurations as needed.

Here is where some of you might come in:

I have only worked with RedHat and Fedora (Simply because that is what I
know and I have no time to "play" with anything else.  If any of you are
interested you could write the same class material (covering the same
subjects) for other distributions where they differed from how FC does it.

That way if a person wanted to learn to setup a network using DHCP they
would follow the appropriate links and then choose a distribution.

We could all share our knowledge and experiences and learn new things in the
process.

I figure we could use something like Drupal as our CMS and even give whoever
uses the site the ability to comment and add content if we wanted to.

What do you think?  Anyone interested?

Doug Coats