[CS-FSLUG] Morphix Installation Accomplished

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 04:08:55 CDT 2004

I installed Morphix yesterday.  Ran into some issues, which the
Morphix users list helped me fix fairly quickly.  Here's how it worked
for me, for those who want to know (It's also a FAQ at Freely's
HelpDesk for churches):

System Info:
1.3Ghz AMD Duron
192 MB RAM
80 GB HDD

Boot the CD.
Click the "Install to Hard Disk" icon to launch the GUI installer.
You will be asked which hard disk to install to.  Assuming you have
only one disk, you should leave this alone.  If you have more, and
want to install to another, take your pick.

After clicking next you will be taken to the cfdisk utility to
partition your hard drive.  Delete and Create the partitions you want,
and then use "Write" or "W" to write the partition table.  You cannot
use a lower-case "w"; it must be upper-case.  Frankly, I just used the
arrow keys to land on the choices I wanted.  Choose the ext3
filesystem type (83) here and in the GUI.

I overwrote a SUSE Linux installation (intentionally) to play with
Morphix. I experienced a problem with cfdisk failing to re-read the
partition table. I exited cfdisk (Quit), and then the GUI installer to
reboot the machine.  Upon returning to the desktop, I re-launched the
GUI installer.  When I got back to cfdisk, I simply chose Quit, and
went back to the GUI.

When it allowed me to choose the root partition (/), I chose the
advanced button to create partitions for /usr, /var and /home.  NOTE:
Use the ext3 filesystem type (83).  Once you complete the
installation, you can convert filesystems if you so choose.

Morphix will give you the opportunity to enter the root password and
setup a regular user.  I experienced a problem with this part as well.
 Apparently the installer failed to set the root password or add the
regular user.  I understand this is an odd error, so you may not
experience it.  You will need to add the user to the appropriate
groups (users, dialup, etc).  NOT DOING SO COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR
YOUR USER.

To correct this:
(1) Stop LILO and type "linux init 1" to boot into runlevel 1.
(2) When the boot process gets that far, use the "[Enter] for
maintenance" option.
(3) Type "passwd" to change the root password.  The system will ask
you to enter the password twice, and then you can reboot the system.

You may also need to delete and re-add the regular user.  Try to
change the user's password first, and ensure they've been added to the
appropriate groups. Failing that, the easiest route is probably to
delete and re-add the user.

I did this via the graphical desktop tools.  By default, root cannot
login graphically.  Hence, you should either add your users via the
command line, or configure the graphical login to allow root to use
the GUI:
(1) Use the "Configure" menu item to configure the graphical login.
(2) Login as root
(3) click the "Start Here" icon to open the system management folder.
(4) Click "Users".
(5) Delete your regular user, then click "Apply".
(6) Add your regular user, and add him/her to the various groups.

I don't have sound yet, and am not sure how to figure out what
on-board sound system is used by this motherboard.  I can't even tell
whose motherboard it is.  When I have more info on this, I'll update
this message.

Otherwise, everything else went very smoothly.  It was faster than a
Windows install - minus my time seeking help.  Even with the glitches,
now that I know what to do, it will take less time than with Windows.
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com